What would be the best, sage advice from those who have a decent amount of life experience under their belt and have no doubt learned some important lessons along the way? The following question was posed to those over 60: “What advice would you give to those who are half your age?”
The answers are surprisingly not what you might think. They are definitely valuable though and worth learning so you can get ahead in life as much as possible! Check these out and start applying some of these important gems. Here are the answers and advice given by the group of over 60:
1. People always say, Make sure you get ajob doing what you love! But that isnt the best advice. The right job isthe job you love some days, can tolerate most days, and still pays the bills. Almost nobody has ajob they love every day.
2. Years gobyinthe blink ofaneye. Dont marry young. Live your life. Goplaces. Dothings. Ifyou have the means ornot. Pack abag and gowherever you can afford togo. While you have nodependents, dont buy stuff. Any stuff. See the world. Look through travel magazines and pick aspot. GO!
3. Dont take life soseriously. Even ifthings seem dark and hopeless, try tolaugh athow ridiculous lifeis.
4. Atrue friend will come running ifyou call them at2am. Everyone else isjust anacquaintance.
5. The most important person inyour life isthe person who agreed toshare their life with you. Treat them assuch.
6. Children grow upway too fast. Make the most ofthe time you have with them.
7. Nobody ever dies wishing they had worked more. Work hard, but dont prioritize work over family, friends, oreven yourself.
8. You might live along life, oryou might live ashort one who knows. But either way, trust mewhenI say that youre going towish you took better care ofyourself inyour youth.
9. Ifyoure getting overwhelmed bylife, just return tothe immediate present moment and savour all that isbeautiful and comforting. Take adeep breath, relax.
10. Eat and exercise like youre adiabetic heart patient with astroke soyou never actually become one.
11. Wehave one time onthis earth. Dont wake upand realize that you are 60years old and havent done the things you dreamed about.
12. Maybe this one isnt asprofound asthe others, butI think its important… Floss regularly, dental problems are awful.
13. Dont take anyone elses advice asgospel. You can ask for advice from someone you respect, then take your situation into consideration and make your own decision. Essentially, take your own advice ismyadvice…
14. Stuff isjust stuff. Dont hold onto material objects, hold onto time and experiences instead.
15. hejoints you damage today will get their revenge later. Even ifyou think theyve recovered completely. TRUST ME!
16. Appreciate the small things and tobepresent inthe moment. What doImean? Well, itseems today like younger people are all about immediate gratification. Instead, why not appreciate every small moment? Wedont get tostay onthis crazy/wonderful planet forever and the greatest pleasure can befound inthe most mundane ofactivities. Instead ofsending atext, pick upthe phone and call someone. Call your mother, have aconversation about nothing inparticular. Those are the moments tohold onto.
17. Pay your bills and stay the hell out ofdebt. IfIcould have paid myself all the money Ive paid out ininterest over the years, Id beretired already.
18. Jealousy destroys relationships. Trust your significant other, because who else are you supposed totrust?
19. Ifyou have adream ofbeing ordoing something that seems impossible, try for itanyway. Itwill only become more impossible asyou age and become responsible for other people.
20. When you meet someone for the first time, stop and realize that you really know nothing about them. You see race, gender, age, clothes. Forget itall. You know nothing. Those biased assumptions that pop into your head because ofthe way your brain likes categories, are limiting your life, and other peoples lives.